Monday, May 6, 2013

Balance and Gratitude

Balance... it is everywhere in life. We have good days, we have bad days. We have joy, we have sorrow. We have health, we have illness. We have sun, we have clouds. And in The Ultimate Yogi we have cardio, strength, flexibility, and balance.

Why does it seem that some people have better life balance than others? I believe that part of it is life and the path we were given, some of it is the choices we make, but a lot of it has do with attitude and gratitude.

I love to start my mornings with the Prosperity Chant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYc6k803oo) by Karen Druker. This song fills me with gratitude and reminds me of all the gifts that are mine. It fills me with joy and reminds me to have faith in the divine. It also reminds me that we are all energy and we are interconnected.

My yoga practice does the same. It fills me with joy and yet it humbles me. It forces me to set my ego aside. Yoga brings me to a quiet place where I can more clearly see how fortunate and blessed I am.  There is so much to be grateful for.

At the most basic level I am grateful that I breath on my own, I walk without assistance, I can smell flowers, I can hear the birds chirp, and I can see the beauty outside. On a more spectacular level I give thanks (almost) everyday for the abundance, prosperity, wealth, and health (mental, physical, and spiritual) in my life. I am fortunate to be in a position where I live a comfortable life. My basic needs (food, shelter, health) are taken care of. In addition I have the ability to travel and enjoy many pursuits in my life. And most importantly I have people in my life who love me.

When I enter my quiet place on the yoga mat I also gain clarity on how we are all energy and how we attract energy through our actions and thoughts. We are all interconnected and what I do impacts others and what others do impacts me.

Today's yoga practice, for me, was balance. We all strive for balance in our lives, in so many ways... work/family, indulgence/restraint, love/hate, activity/rest. To stay in balance we must be firmly rooted to the ground yet sway and flow with the ripples that present themselves. For me, it is through gratitude and appreciation that I can remain in balance even when life tries to knock me off my feet. And should I fall... I try to do it with a smile on my face, find the humor in the situation and ground my feet back into mother earth, give thanks, and carry on. Today's practice was filled with lots of wobbles and a few falls, but in the end I am grateful I got on my mat and did the best that circumstances allowed me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment